- A small polymer of amino acids, formed
by the condensation copolymerization of several amino acids.
- The horizontal rows in the periodic
- A measure of the amount of hydrogen
ions in a solution, equal to the negative of the base-10 logarithm
of the hydrogen ion concentration.
- The science of drugs; the properties
of drugs related to their therapeutic effects.
- Amphetamine-like component of fen-phen
that increases metabolism by raising the body's levels of dopamine
- A particle of electromagnetic
radiation having zero mass.
- Process in which water and carbon
dioxide are combined in the presence of sunlight to produce glucose
and oxygen.This is the process used by green plants to create their
- Algae, microscopic single-celled
plants that float in the surface waters of the sea, lakes and
rivers. In the ocean they constitute the bottom of the marine food
chain. They have been called 'the pasture of the sea.' Like plants
on land, they use sunlight to convert carbondioxide and water into
sugars and oxygen in the process of photosynthesis.
- Using plants to clear toxic metals
from the environment by chelation.
- A gas-like phase of matter that
contains charged particles.
- Indication of the ease of distortion
of an electron cloud around at atom.Large atoms (like iodine) have
many electrons, and their location may easily shift, producing
regions of partial positive and negative charge.The larger the
atom, the greater the polarizability, or the more easily an
electron cloud may be distorted.
- A substance that contaminates an
- A polymer in which the repeating unit
is an organic carbonate
- Molecules which are composed of linked
repeating units (called monomers) are referred to as polymers.
Polymers are the basis for many plastics and synthetic fibers such
as Teflon and polyester.
- The ratio of the size of a material's
pores to the volume of the material's mass.
- A solid formed in a chemical
- The agreement of repeated measurements
with each other.
- In metabolism, a chemical substance
from which another chemical substance is formed
- The force per unit area.
- A biological polymer formed by
condensation reactions among a set of 20 different amino
- A positively charged subatomic
particle found in the nucleus.
- Having acquired an additional proton
Glossary created by David Shaw (Madison Area Technical College) for The Chemistry Place.
Information Please® Chemistry Place, ©2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring