- Prefix meaning one billionth or
- A substance that transmits nerve
impulses across a synapse.
- A process where an acid and a base
react with each other to form a salt and water.
- Electrically neutral subatomic
particle found in the nucleus.
- Acronym for Not In My Back Yard.An
expression describing the response from members of a community who
disapprove of proposed sites for solid waste disposal. A milder
form of NOPE (Not On Planet Earth).
- An enzyme system that catalyzes the
reaction of molecular nitrogen (N2) to ammonia
- A group of organic compounds with the
basic structure NNO, some of which are powerful cancer-causing
- The systematic naming of chemical
- A substance that dissolves in water to
form a solution that is non-conducting.
- Having no poles.Used to refer to a
bond or molecule that overall has no separation of electrical
- A neurotransmitter that increases
heart rate, blood pressure, and is related to increased motor
activity. It is the precursor to epinephrine.
- A concentration unit relating
equivalents of solute to one liter of aqueous solution.
- Of or pertaining to nucleus.
- A particle found in the nucleus, that
is, a proton or a neutron.
- A biologically important molecule
consisting of an amine-containing purine or pyrimidine base joined
to ribose, a 5-carbon sugar.
- The central part of an atom containing
protons and neutrons.
- A source of nourishment, expecially a
nourishing ingredient in food.
Glossary created by David Shaw (Madison Area Technical College) for The Chemistry Place.
Information Please® Chemistry Place, ©2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring