- The process of covering iron with a
coat of zinc to make it less reactive to air and water.
- A device that is very sensitive and
able to detect even small flows of electrons through a wire.
- The least dense state of matter.
- gas chromatography
- An analytical chemistry technique in which a sample is vaporized
and passed through a column whose walls are covered with a sticky
organic solvent; different chemicals in the sample have different
affinities for the solvent and separate as they pass through the
- A mixture of 90% gasoline and 10% ethyl
alcohol that is used as an automotive fuel.
- A volatile, flammable, liquid mixture
of hydrocarbons, obtained from petroleum, and used as fuel for
- A colloid in which the
dispersed phase has combined with the continuous phase to produce a
semisolid material as a jelly; a colloid formed by coagulation of a
- The fundamental physical and
functional unit of heredity. A gene is an ordered sequence of
nucleotides located in a particular position on a particular
chromosome that encodes a specific functional product (i.e., a
protein or RNA molecule).
- A 6-carbon sugar that plays a major
role in cell metabolism.
- A polysaccharide the body uses for
energy storage; it is made up of chains of glucose molecules. When
the body has depleted the free glucose in the blood, the liver
breaks down glycogen into more glucose.
- A lipid covalently linked to a sugar
or polysaccharide. These biomolecules are important parts of animal
- A complex biochemical process in which
one molecule of glucose is anaerobically converted into two
molecules of pyruvate and energy in the form of ATP.
- The basic unit of mass in the metric
- The most stable allotrope, or form of
carbon, having a hexagonal type linking of atoms with relatively
strong bonds to 3 neighboring carbon atoms, and a much weaker bond
to a fourth carbon atom.
- A vertical column in the periodic
Glossary created by David Shaw (Madison Area Technical College) for The Chemistry Place.
Information Please® Chemistry Place, ©2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring