Born: 21 May 1860
Best Known as: inventor of the first reliable electrocardiogram
Willem Einthoven produced the first instrument to detect the
electrical activity of the heart and the first reliable electrocardiogram.
His discoveries advanced the study of heart disease. Born in Java,
Einthoven studied medicine at the University of Utrecht. He became a
tought and performed research at the University of Leiden. In 1924,
Einthoven was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his
discovery of the mechanism of the electrocardiogram. Willem Einthoven died
September 28, 1927.
More on Willem Einthoven from Infoplease:
- Einthoven: meaning and definitions - Einthoven: Definition and Pronunciation
- Willem Einthoven - Einthoven, Willem Einthoven, Willem , 1860–1927, Dutch physiologist, b. Java, M.D. Univ. of ...
- Willem Einthoven - Biography of Willem Einthoven, Willem Einthoven produced the first instrument to detect the electrical activity of the heart and the first reliable electrocardiogram. His …
- National Inventors Hall of Fame 2008 Inductees - Inductees to the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2008.
- Top News Stories from 1924 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 1924. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring