former Bosnian leader
Best Known as: Bosnian Serb president in the 1990s
Radovan Karadzic, the Bosnian Serb president during the war in
Bosnia in the 1990s, was charged with genocide, persecution, deportation,
and other crimes against non-Serb civilians. Karadzic orchestrated the
massacre of almost 8,000 Muslim men and boys in 1995 in Srebrenica. He was
found outside Belgrade in July 2008. He altered his appearance and had
been openly practicing alternative medicine in Serbia. The arrest will
likely bring Serbia closer to joining the European Union.
More on Radovan Karadzic from Infoplease:
- Radovan Karadzic - Biography of Radovan Karadzic, Radovan Karadzic, the Bosnian Serb president during the war in Bosnia in the 1990s, was charged with genocide, persecution, deportation, and…
- Genocide: How is it Defined? - Defining Genocide by Borgna Brunner genocide: from the Greek genos, meaning race; and the Latin ...
- Year in Review, 2008 - An overview of national and international events, people in the news, timelines, and quizzes|Top events for the nation and the world
- Vojislav Kostunica - Biography - Vojislav Kostunica Yugoslavia's new president is both a Western liberal and Serb nationalist by ...
- The Balkans - The Balkans 1997 News of the World Bosnia's long-delayed municipal elections finally succeeded ...
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring