Best Known as: president of Poland
In October 2005, Lech Kaczynski became Poland's third elected president since the end of its Communist era. Kaczynski promised Poles he would abolish corruption in the government and restore the Polish republic's reputation on the world stage. A devout Roman Catholic, Kaczynski was pro-Poland and anti-European Union and fought to protect his country's conservative values. In 2008, he staunchly opposed the EU's Lisbon Treaty–prohibition of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation–for fear that it would become Polish law. President Kaczynski died at age 60 in a plane crash in western Russia.
More on Lech Kaczynski from Infoplease:
- Lech Kaczynski - Biography of Lech Kaczynski, In October 2005, Lech Kaczynski became Poland's third elected president since the end of its Communist era. Kaczynski promised Poles he woul…
- April 2010 Current Events: Science/Disasters News - Current events in Science & Disasters for the month of April 2010, including the earthquake in Haiti and scientific discoveries.
- Poland - Information on Poland — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Poland - Poland Profile: People, History, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations and National Security, U.S.-Polish Relations
- Aircraft Crashes - Find a list of the worst aircraft crashes in the world, including the Hindenburg disaster and the Sept 11, 2001, attacks