Born: October 18, 1970
Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York
Best Known as: supporter to al-Qaeda and terrorism
Jose Padilla, who was arrested in Chicago in 2002 and accused of
plotting to explode a dirty bomb in the United States, is sentenced to 17
years and 4 months in jail. In August 2007, he was convicted of conspiracy
to commit terror overseas and giving material support to al-Qaeda. The
government had held him as an enemy combatant until 2006, when he was
transferred to the civilian justice system and charged with another set of
crimes. It was these charges that resulted in the conviction.
More on Jose Padilla from Infoplease:
- Jose Padilla - Biography of Jose Padilla, Jose Padilla, who was arrested in Chicago in 2002 and accused of plotting to explode a dirty bomb in the United States, is sentenced to 17 y…
- Notable Decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court, 2003–2004 Term - Notable Decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court, 2003–2004 Term Court Upholds Campaign Finance ...
- 2002 World History - 2002 World History Jacques Chirac (1932–) Tony Blair (1953–) Hugo Chavez (1954–) ...
- December 2003 - December 2003 World International Court Convicts Rwandans of Genocide (Dec. 3) Three-judge panel in ...
- February 2005 - February 2005 World Nepalese King Fires Government (Feb. 1): King Gyanendra also declares a state ...
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring