What holidays are celebrated in Iceland? The only one I know
about is June 17th being the national holiday.
In addition to Independence Day on June 17, here are some other
unique holidays celebrated in Iceland:
- Thorrablot (mid-Jan. through
mid-Feb.) — a month-long homage to their Viking heritage
- Bolludagur or "Bun Day" — two days
before Lent, bakeries, restaurants and the like make sweet buns for
- Sprengidagur or "Bursting Day" —
day before Lent, everywhere people eat "sprengidagur," which is a
salted meat and peas dish.
- Beer Day (March 1) — started in
1989 after a 75-year long prohibition on beer was lifted.
- Sjomannadagur or "Seafarer's Day"
(June 6) — day of competitions and celebrations in Iceland's fishing
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring